Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Lost in Translation

After a hard day's graft teaching and sitting in the office, I decide to go and have a pint and enjoy the lovely sunshine we've been having. I watch the world go by and have a game of Sudoku to stop my mind from wandering.
A man asks me in Slovak if he can sit under the same umbrella away from the sun. I say yes. I try and get back to my game of Sudoku when he insists on speaking to me. I keep trying to say 'Nierozumiem Slovensky' which means I don't understand your language. I don't understand Slovak and he doesn't speak or understand EnglishHowever, he is determined to communicate with me. I accept. Our 'conversation' is somewhwat limited to comparing the weather and drawing pictures. I find the phrase in my slovak phrasebook downloaded from the internet 'I'm in a hurry.'

No comments: