Friday, November 03, 2006

Advanced Coursebooks

My advanced students use a quicky book called Clockwise. This coursebook consists of lots of listenings that are supposed to have natural English. More than anything else, they are confusing for the students and myself. After playing back a listening three times, students still don't seem to understand it. One listening was on crime and punishment. This particular listening consisted of five different young offenders speaking piss-poor English about the crimes they have committed and what they are going to do when they get out of jail. I had to reassure my students that most English people will not know what the hell they are on about.
Today, I got rid of the book and downloaded an exercise from the useful onestopenglish.com. I think they learnt more English than they did with 12 lessons of this Clockwise.

No comments: