Wednesday, January 17, 2007

House hunting, Bratislava style.

'Sick of trees, take me to the city. Train coming round the bend.' Lou Reed

When I arrived back in town, my landlady gave me a badly written piece of paper on how she has found a buyer for her new place.
This means that I have to find somewhere new to live by the end of the month. It also gives me an opportunity to move closer to the city.
The first place I visited was about 11,000 sk a month - way too expensive for someone on Slovak wages. However, the location was in an area called Bajkalska, a convenient junction in the city. When I visited the place, I couldn't believe that the woman told me that she would be taking the TV, washing machine and sofa with her.
The second place, close to the city centre in a region called Kramare seemed promising with nice housemates, but there was no bed.
I finally looked at a place near my favourite restaurant in Ursynyho, close to Racianske Myto. At 6,600sk par month, this was place seemed promising, but the person who I would have to share with gave me the creeps. I would also have to see this person every single day. This place is definitely out of the question.
One of the most popular sites for renting is a site called reality.sk. Unfortunately, most of these places seem far too expensive for my budget. A one-bedroom flat in Petrzalka costs around 9,000 sk. Yet there are many hidden costs. There is not only a deposit of 9,000sk, but there is a one-off payment of 9,000sk that you will never see again. These letting agents will also try and charge more for foreigners.
Anyway, will keep you all posted on my whereabouts soon.

No comments: