Saturday, January 06, 2007

Nightmare on flight 5443



This morning I flew to Budapest from Gatwick on EZY flight 5443. It was a flight that I'll never forget.

The plane was delayed for an hour, thanks to an essential change of a front tyre. This was chaotic enough as there were so many restless people determined to get home after the Christmas holidays.

The actual flight itself was uneventful. I did the usual stuff people do on planes - talk to the person next to me, read and sleep.

We arrived in Budapest 30 minutes late, which was expected due to the delay. However, the plane never made it to the terminal as it stood to a complete standstill in the middle of the runway. We all sat there wondering when we were going to disembark. 30 minutes later, the person next to me asked the air hostess in orange, 'can you please tell me what's going on?' The hostess said 'I'm sorry, but I can't.' Two minutes later, the captain announced there is a Muslim terrorist on board. It was believed that the 'terrorist' said to a stewardess as she was serving tepid tea and overpriced Pringles, 'Watch out. I'm a Muslim Terrorist.'

The captain asked us to remain seated with our seatbelts fastened. I looked outside to find the plane was surrounded by the Hungarian army and armed police. About 20 armed policemen came on the plane and dragged some light-skinned, wired eyed looking person off the plane. As you would expect, there was a massive round of applause.
10 minutes later, we were all allowed off the plane. We then had to wait another hour for our baggage, as they had to sniff out any bombs.

I am still in one piece after my brush with terror, despite the fact I'm a little shocked.

Yet everything is is still a total mystery. Who was the guy? Was he a real terrorist or just some nut job acting out alone? Was he just a Schizophrenic? I tried to find out stuff on BBC, but found nothing. I was interviewed by RTL Hungary TV and told them my piece. However, I may never know about this mystery situation.

No comments: